Do you want to achieve your monthly money goals? If so, the first step is to set them. But how do you set money goals that are realistic, achievable, and motivating?
As a business owner, receiving money as a result of our services and products is rewarding and necessary, because if you don’t, what’s the point?
As creatives, however, this often gets pushed aside because we are more focused on our creativity and the projects that have our attention. Start by getting clear on how much money you would like to earn every month!
Brainstorm all the ways that could happen for you! Sometimes the wildest idea is just the right idea! Once you have that, play around with the offers and numbers and see what lights you up for the month and create your action plan!
Here are some additional tips:
- Start by brainstorming your goals. What do you want to achieve with your money? Do you want to save for a down payment on a house? Pay off debt? Retire early? Once you have a list of goals, prioritize them. What are the most important goals to you?
- Make your goals SMART. SMART goals are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound. For example, instead of saying “I want to save money,” say “I want to save $10,000 in 12 months.”
- Estimate how much you need to save. Once you know how much you want to save, you need to estimate how much you need to save each month. To do this, create a budget and track your expenses. This will help you see where your money is going and where you can cut back.
- Automate your savings. One of the best ways to stay on track with your savings goals is to automate your savings. This means setting up a direct deposit from your paycheck into your savings account. That way, you won’t even see the money and you won’t be tempted to spend it.
- Track your progress. It’s important to track your progress so you can see how you’re doing and stay motivated. There are many different ways to track your progress, such as using a spreadsheet or a budgeting app.
Setting monthly money goals can be daunting, but it’s worth it. By following these tips, you can set SMART goals that you’re more likely to achieve.
Here are some additional tips for setting money goals:
- Consider your current financial situation. How much money do you have in savings? How much debt do you have? Once you know your current financial situation, you can set goals that are realistic and achievable.
- Be realistic about your spending habits. If you’re not sure how much money you can afford to save each month, track your spending for a few weeks. This will give you a good idea of where your money is going and where you can cut back.
- Don’t be afraid to adjust your goals. As your financial situation changes, you may need to adjust your goals. This is perfectly normal. Just make sure you’re still working towards something that’s important to you.
Setting money goals can be a challenge, but it’s also an important step towards financial freedom. By following these tips, you can set SMART goals that you’re more likely to achieve.
Here are some examples of financial goals:
- Save for a down payment on a house.
- Pay off debt.
- Start an emergency fund.
- Save for retirement.
- Save for college.
- Save for a vacation.
- Improve your credit score.
- Pay off student loans.
No matter what your financial goals are, setting them is the first step towards achieving them. So what are you waiting for? Start setting your goals today!
As creatives, this can often be the last thing we want to think about because we just want to do our thing. But you deserve to get paid for your skills, talents, gifts, and ideas!
Make a date with yourself and your money goal every month and use this workbook as guidance.